Updated: March 9th, 2023.This Privacy Notice (this “Notice”) describes the type of information that Food 52 Inc. (“Schoolhouse,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) collects through your use of our website, www.schoolhouse.com, and the corresponding online services made available in connection therewith and any other location this policy is posted (the “Site”). California, Nevada, and Virginia residents should review the relevant links below. Residents of the European Economic Area, Switzerland, and United Kingdom should review the relevant link below for more information.
This Notice covers:
- What information is collected by Schoolhouse through the Site.
- How Schoolhouse uses this information.
- To whom Schoolhouse may disclose information.
- What choices are available to you with respect to the collection, use and disclosure of this information.
- What types of security procedures are in place to protect against the loss or misuse of this information.
By accessing or using the Site, or by clicking the “accept” button when you register to use the Site, you consent to our use of your information as described in this Notice. This Notice is part of, and is governed by, Schoolhouse’s Terms & Conditions (“Terms”).
Information We Collect
We collect information from you in two ways. First, you provide us with certain information when you register for and use the Site. Second, we collect certain information automatically as you use the Site.
- Information You Provide to Us
We may collect information from you when you register as a user, provide comments and suggestions, request a catalog, sign up for newsletters, post on user forums, enter promotions, order products and services, submit content, or send us feedback. If you do not want us to collect this information, please do not provide it. We directly collect the following types of information that you provide to us:
- Identifying information. We may collect information, including your name, email address, phone number, credit card information, and mailing address.
- Account credentials, including your password, password hints, and information for authentication and account access.
- User generated content. When you provide comments or feedback or make submissions using the Site, we may collect that content and associate it with you.
- Customer service interactions. To ensure the quality of your interactions with our customer service representatives, we may monitor and record phone calls or other communications between you and our representatives.
We use a third party payment processor, Shopify, to handle payment transactions. You can read about Shopify’s privacy practices in the Shopify privacy notice accessible at the following link: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy.
- Information We Automatically Collect from You When You Use the Site
We (or service providers on our behalf) may use technologies, including “cookies” and “web beacons,” to automatically collect information from you when you use the Site. Cookies are small amounts of data that are stored within your Internet browser, which saves and recognizes your browsing habits. We use both session cookies (which track a user’s progression during one site visit) and persistent cookies (which track a user over time). Web beacons are web page elements that can recognize certain types of information on your computer or mobile device, such as the time and date you viewed a page, which emails are opened, which links are clicked, and similar information.
Information that may be collected by cookies and web beacons when you use the Site may include, without limitation:
- web pages you visit;
- date and time of your visit to or use of the Site;
- usage and activity data related to the Site;
- browser type;
- Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or mobile device to the Internet;
- your computer or mobile device and connection information, such as your browser type and version, operating system, and platform;
- non-precise location data, such as data derived from an IP address; and
- your device identifier.
- B. “Do Not Track” Requests
Your Internet browser and mobile device may allow you to adjust your browser settings so that “do not track” requests are sent to the websites you visit. Note, however, there is no industry consensus as to what site and app operators should do with regard to these signals. Accordingly, unless and until the law is interpreted to require us to do so, we do not monitor or take action with respect to “Do Not Track” signals. For more information on “Do Not Track,” visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com. If you are a California resident, please visit the “California Privacy” section below for details on how to exercise your right to opt-out of sales of sharing through preference signals.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use information collected from or about you for any of the following purposes:
- developing, providing and improving Schoolhouse’s products and the Site;
- assisting with the provision of services and fulfillment of product orders;
- managing and verifying your account and the identity of users of the Site;
- contacting you when necessary about your account or your use of the Site;
- sending you information and promotional materials about our products and the Site, as well as our company in general;
- responding to support requests;
- complying with regulatory requirements for the maintenance of records;
- conducting internal reviews of the Site to help us better understand visitors’ and customers’ uses of the Site;
- protecting the security and integrity of the Site;
- complying with court orders and legal process, and to enforce our Terms and this Notice;
- fulfilling any purpose at your direction; and
- with notice to you and your consent;
- any other legal, business or marketing purposes that are not inconsistent with the terms of this Notice.
Schoolhouse also uses your information for interest-based and retargeting advertising. Interest-based advertising involves the collection of data across different web domains so we can deliver ads that are tailored to your interests. Our retargeting practices allow Schoolhouse to show you products we think you would be interested in based on your activity on the Site. You can read more about this type of data-driven marketing on the Network Advertising Initiative website, http://www.networkadvertising.org.
We may combine information we collect about you through the Site with other information about you that we receive from third-party sources. By way of example and not limitation, we may use a change of address or other list service to ensure that our records for your account are accurate.
How We Disclose Your Information.
We may disclose the information we collect in connection with the Site with third parties, as described below:
- Service Providers
We may disclose your information with our third party distributors, vendors, suppliers and other service providers who provide services to us or on our behalf, such as operating and supporting the Site, website developers, hosting service providers, auditors, performing marketing or consulting services, and assisting us with the preparation and mailing of our business and marketing communications and with processing and fulfillment functions. For example, we disclose your information to our service provider Catalog Co., which develops, prints, and mails our product catalogs.
- Analytics and Advertising Providers
- Our Affiliates
We may disclose some or all of your information to our subsidiaries and corporate affiliates, joint ventures, or other companies that are or may become under common control with us. We will require these entities to comply with the terms of this Notice with regard to their use of your information.
- Transfer or Assignment in Connection with Business Transfers or Bankruptcy
- Response to Subpoenas or Court Orders, or Protection of Our Rights
We may disclose your information to government authorities or third parties if:
- you have given us permission to disclose your information;
- we are required to do so by law, or in response to a subpoena or court order;
- we believe in our sole discretion that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect against fraud, or to protect our property or other rights, or those of third parties, or the public at large; or
- we believe that you have abused the Site by using the Site to attack or gain unauthorized access to a system or to engage in spamming or other conduct that violates applicable laws.
- Aggregate Information
We may disclose aggregated or de-identified information (as those terms are defined by applicable law) to the extent permitted by applicable law.
You may access, update, or delete certain information that you have provided to us through your account by visiting your account settings. Please note that we will retain information in accordance with our data retention practices.
You may unsubscribe or opt out of receiving communications from us by clicking the unsubscribe link on any email marketing communication you receive or by emailing us at email@example.com. You may access, update, or delete certain information that you have provided to us through your account by visiting account settings. Please note that we will retain and use information about you as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
The companies we work with to provide you with interest-based advertising may be participants of the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) and/or the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). To opt out of receiving interest-based advertising from the participating companies, please visit https://www.aboutads.info/choices and https://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ for website opt outs and https://www.aboutads.info/appchoices for mobile opt outs. Note that opting out through these links only means that the selected participants should no longer deliver interest-based advertising to you, but does not mean that the participants will not process your information for Interest-based Advertising purposes or that you will no longer receive interest-based advertising from other companies.
Please note that the above opt outs only apply to the specific browser or device from which you opt out. We are not responsible for the effectiveness of any opt outs offered by other entities.
How We Protect Your Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable measures designed to secure your information from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. However, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. You acknowledge that: (a) the limitations of the Internet are beyond our control; and (b) the security, integrity and privacy of information and data exchanged between you and us cannot be guaranteed. Schoolhouse has no responsibility or liability for the security of information transmitted via the Internet.
We retain information for the length of time that is reasonably necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud, and enforce our agreements.
These additional rights and disclosures apply only to California residents. Terms have the meaning ascribed to them in the California Consumer Protection Act as replaced by the California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA”), unless otherwise stated.
Notice at Collection
We have collected the following categories of personal information in the past 12 months:
- Identifiers, including your name, email address, postal address, and phone number.
- Commercial or transactions information. Including records of products or services you purchased, obtained, or considered.
- Device identifiers, including your device’s IP address and Ad Id.
- Device information, including your device’s operating software and browser (e.g. type, version, and configuration), internet service provider, and regional and language settings.
- Internet activity, including information about your browsing history and interactions, such as the features you use, pages you visit, content you view, purchases you make or consider, time of day you browse, and referring and exiting pages.
- Non-precise location data, such as location derived from an IP address or data that indicates a city or postal code level.
- Inferences drawn from any of the above information identified in this section.
- Account credentials, including your username, password, password hints, and other information for authentication or account access.
- Payment information, including your payment instrument number (such as a credit or debit card number), expiration date, and security code as necessary to process your payments.
For further details on the personal information we collect and the sources from which we obtain personal information, please review the “Information We Collect” section above.
We collect and use this personal information for the business and commercial purposes set out in the “How We Use the Information we Collect” section above. We disclose this personal information to the categories of persons set out in the “How We Disclose Your Information” section above. Please visit those sections for further details.
We do not sell your personal information as that term is traditionally understood. However, some of our disclosures of personal information may be considered a “sale” or “share” as those terms are defined under the CPRA. A “sale” is broadly defined under the CPRA to include a disclosure for something of value, and a “share” is broadly defined under the CPRA to include a disclosure for cross-context behavioral advertising. We collect, sell, or share the following categories of personal information for commercial purposes: identifiers, commercial or transactions information, device identifiers, device information, internet activity, non-precise geolocation data, and inferences drawn from any of the above. The categories of third parties to whom we sell or share your personal information include, where applicable, vendors and other parties involved in cross-context behavioral advertising. For details on your rights regarding sales and shares, please see the “Right to Opt-Out” section below.
We do not knowingly sell or share the personal information of minors under 16 years old who are California residents.
We retain each category of personal information for the length of time that is reasonably necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. For more information regarding our retention policy, please see the “Retention” section above.
Right to Know, Correct, and Delete
You have the right to request the following from us:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information was collected;
- The categories of personal information about you we disclosed for a business purpose or sold or shared;
- The categories of persons to whom the personal information was disclosed for a business purpose or sold or shared;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling or sharing the personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
In addition, you have the right to correct or delete the personal information we have collected from you.
To exercise any of these rights, please submit through this Form . Please note these rights are subject to exceptions. If you have an account with us, we may require you to use the account to submit the request. In the request, please specify which right you are seeking to exercise and the scope of the request. We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 business days and respond to your request within 45 days. We may require specific information from you to help us verify your identity and process your request. If we are unable to verify your identity, we may deny your request.
Right to Opt-Out of Sales and Sharing
To the extent we “sell” or “share” your personal information as those terms are defined under the CPRA, you have the right to opt-out of the sale or sharing of your personal information, which you can exercise through this Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information link or the link in the footer of our website. In addition, you may exercise this right by turning on a recognized opt-out preference signal, such as Global Privacy Control, in your browser or extension.
When you submit an opt-out, your opt-out will only apply to sales and shares of personal information through tracking technologies from the specific browser from which you submitted the opt-out because the connection between your browser identifiers and other personal information we have about you is not known to us.
You can designate an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf. Requests must be submitted through the designated methods listed above. Except for opt-out requests, we will require written proof of the agent’s permission to do so and may verify your identity directly.
Right to Non-Discrimination
You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of any your rights.
Shine the Light
Under California’s Shine the Light law, Customers who are residents of California may request (i) a list of the categories of personal information disclosed by us to third parties during the immediately preceding calendar year for those third parties’ own direct marketing purposes; and (ii) a list of the categories of third parties to whom we disclosed such information. To exercise a request, please write us at the email address set out in “Contact Us” below and specify that you are making a “California Shine the Light Request.” We may require additional information from you to allow us to verify your identity and are only required to respond to requests once during any calendar year.
We do not sell and will not sell your covered information (as those terms are defined by NRS 603A.340).
These additional rights and disclosures apply only to Virginia residents. Terms have the meaning ascribed to them in the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (“VCDPA”).
You have the following rights under the VCDPA:
- To confirm whether or not we are processing your personal data
- To access your personal data
- To correct inaccuracies in your personal data
- To delete your personal data
- To obtain a copy of your personal data that you previously provided to us in a portable and readily usable format
- To opt out of the processing of personal data for purposes of targeted advertising, the sale of personal data, or profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning you
To exercise any of these rights, please submit through this Form. We will respond to your request within 45 days. If you have an account with us, we may require you to use the account to submit the request. We may require specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request.
European Union Privacy
The General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) provides additional rights to individuals located in the European Economic Area, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom (collectively, “Europe”). If the processing of your information is subject to the GDPR, we have additional obligations and you have additional rights under the GDPR. These rights and obligations are as follows:
We will process your information in order to support our provision of the Site. The lawful bases for processing your information may include:
- When you have given consent to our processing;
- When processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract;
- When processing is necessary to protect our legitimate interests or that of a third party, except where such interests are overridden by your interests or fundamental rights;
- When processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject; and
- When processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person.
You have many rights with respect to our processing of your information. Depending upon the lawful basis of processing, you may have the right to withdraw consent or object to our processing of your information. You may further have the right to be informed about your information and how it is being processed, to access, correct and erase your information, to restrict further processing, and to obtain and reuse your information for your own purposes. You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data (or provide it to third parties to process) for marketing purposes or purposes materially different than for which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized by you. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority.
If we transfer your information to a recipient in a country outside Europe, we will do so in compliance with applicable laws with respect to such transfer.
Correcting/Updating Your Information
You may have the right to access, correct, or delete the information we collect about you. You have the right to not have your information disclosed to third parties. You may also have the right to correct any errors contained in that information. To exercise your rights, please submit through this Form. We will respond to your request within 30 days. We may require specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request.
Please note that we retain information as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, and may continue to retain and use information even after a data subject request for purposes of our legitimate interests, including as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud, and enforce our agreements.
The Site is not intended for users younger than 13. We do not knowingly collect contact information (as that term is defined by the U.S. Children’s Privacy Protection Act, or “COPPA”) from children under the age of 13 without verifiable parental consent. If we become aware that a visitor under the age of 13 has submitted information without verifiable parental consent, we will remove his or her information from our files.
Changes to This Privacy Notice
We may change this Notice from time to time and we will post those changes here. Your continued use of the Site after the posting of changes to this Notice will be construed as your acceptance of these changes. If we make any material changes in our privacy practices that affect your information that is already in our possession, we may provide you additional notice to your email address.
If you have any questions about this Notice or our use of the information we collect from you in connection with the Site, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-800-630-7113.