Product Developer - PDX
The primary responsibility of the Product Developer is to drive developments from inception to market. Will work closely with Product Management, Design, Product Engineering, Marketing, in-house Supply Chain/Manufacturing and outside vendors to ensure a smooth product development process. This individual will bring a track record of success in managing complex product creation processes and vendor communications for multi-component product developments. Will also be responsible for ensuring product meets or exceeds pre-determined gross margin targets and other merchandising and business goals. This individual should quickly develop a keen understanding of the SECO design point-of-view and translate that into successful, premium products.
- Manage and coordinate product development projects.
- Drive product ideas from design concept to finished product.
- Produce sketches, drawings, models and specifications for new products based on ongoing direction and feedback from Product Management and Design.
- Develop and manage domestic and overseas partner and vendor relationships for samples, prototypes, materials and components.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of vendor capabilities.
- Negotiate costing for new products and components that meet margin targets.
- Partner with Ops (Purchasing, Supply Chain and Manufacturing) to order and track samples and prototypes as well as production inventory.
- Manage Product Team functions of the First Article Inspection and Pilot Run Inspection processes.
- Drive a disciplined product creation process by owning product documentation including Bills of Materials and SAP material creation for new products.
- Manage calendars, timelines and other details to ensure project updates are provided quickly and development milestone are reached on schedule.
- Manage and communicate product specifications changes and impacts to costing/margin requirements.
- Monitor product testing and safety compliance.
- Ensure that labeling and marketing/promotional collateral match product specifications.
- Research and monitor existing client base and industry developments and identifies potential new product opportunities.
- Work with other departments to establish a design, technology, product development and vendor strategy.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Strong aptitude and understanding of construction techniques, technologies and materials common to home goods.
- Experience with complex multi-components product developments. Lighting, furniture, bedding, tabletop and general home accessories experience a plus.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment and communicate cross-functionally with all levels of the organization.
- Project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and nimble with a strong sense of urgency.
- Impeccably organized and detail oriented.
- Drawing skills including quick, iterative sketching and detailed technical drawing.
- Proficient in Illustrator, Excel, Word, and Outlook. SolidWork 3-D Software a plus.
- Periodic travel expected.
- 3-5 years of product development role in a similar company.
- Bachelor degree in related field.
To apply for this position please submit a resume along with a cover letter highlighting why you're the best person for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not apply in person, and please no phone calls.