This week, we partnered up with the lovely Michelle Lopez from Hummingbird High for a sweet and special treat! Having recently moved back to Portland and in the midst of a big home renovation, Michelle found the time to whip up the perfect (and easy-to-make) holiday cookie recipe. Simple and scrumptious, her snickerdoodle roll-out sugar cookies are the perfect antidote to complicated baking undertakings that require more risk (i.e. time and effort) than reward. Here's to the ultimate Schoolhouse treat for all ages.
Snickerdoodle Roll-Out Sugar Cookies
by Hummingbird High
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a freestanding electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Lower the mixer speed to its slowest setting and add the egg and vanilla and continue to mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and turn the mixer back on to its slowest setting, adding the dry ingredients (from the first step) in three parts. Continue mixing on low speed until the flour is just incorporated into the dough. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour.
3. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 (F). Line two sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about ½-inch thick. Use cookie cutters to stamp out cookies and transfer to the lined baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between each cookie.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden around the edges. Transfer the baked cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating or serving.
5. When ready to serve, whisk together the remaining sugars and cinnamon to make the sugar topping. Sprinkle onto the cookies and enjoy!
Photography and recipe by Hummingbird High